Wednesday, April 30, 2008

New York Minutes

Minutes of some memories:

**Walking down 125th Street in Harlem at night passing a street preacher lady saying that if whites are going to move in and buy up Harlem, that they should be dipped in chocolate. Also that if white people move into Harlem, that black people are going to get dipped in white chocolate. The lady said that “It is time to make a change.” She also was telling some black kids that “They had been miseducated and that they shouldn’t look at her like she is crazy.” She also asserted that “we are all God’s children.” That started a great conversation with Atticus about how important culture is to individuals and how important it is to preserve it and not let it get diluted by other cultures. But also that all cultures influence each other and can grow together. Atticus still maintains that we don’t have to be dipped in chocolate to be together. I actually agree with the complexities that the lady raised.

**Living in a three room apartment with all white walls. The kids walked in and exclaimed, “the walls, they’re so plain and white!” It made me realize that we have a lot of art on our walls. So, we have a great plan to get butcher paper and make a mural of Central Park on one wall and a mural of baseball fields on the other wall.

**Walking all around Central Park on a Saturday morning—we saw runners, ducks, cyclists, horseback riders, and many other forms of movement.

**Having a Pub of our own—pool table, dart board, flat screen tv, live jazz on Sunday nights, African and other world music on other nights—it’s now our tradition to head to the Pub around 10:30 pm to get in a game of darts or pool before our 11 pm bed time—we aren’t in Provo any more Toto!

**New York walking—fast, determined, no dilly dallying—Tiare and I have got it down. Mehrsa taught it to us. Atticus on the other hand, doesn’t quite have it yet. As we are crossing the street on an already red or soon to be light, we have to hurry Atticus along to catch up with us. Tiare’s got the attitude and the walk down flat—very New Yorksy! One of my favorite things so far about being in New York is walking fast down the streets holding Tiare’s hand.

**We were at our friends’ house on the second day we were here. They live in Harlem on Madison Ave. and about 129th. Atticus comes up to me with his scooter and says, “Hey mom, I’m going to go outside and ride my scooter for a while.” I had to catch myself before immediately saying, “ok.” Suburban parenting and playing styles meet urban realities. I then bend down and explain to Atticus that in New York, kids can’t just go outside to play by themselves without a grown up. We did later go out and play at the playground and ride the scooters. We made friends with some boys who showed my kids some tricks on the scooters—but Tiare was the best, she can do one trick that none of the other kids could do—it’s riding two scooters at once like skis.

**We need to go to the market. No time to take the 1 train to the L train to get to Trader Joe's, so we agree to walk to the closest market to our apartment. Weather looks good--Tiare and I head out in t-shirts, Chris and Atticus have on light wind breakers--both kids on their scooters. Walk there is nice despite a spill or two on the scooters as there is a big hill to go down to get to the market which is right along the river under an overpass. Shopping is heaven here--the store is literally as good as Trader Joe's--now that is saying something from a person who scouts out TJ's in every major city that she visits so that she can import food supplies to Utah the still no TJ's state. Anyway, we load up on amazing fresh produce, wonderful cheeses, organic everything at regular prices, and head to the check out stand. We know that we are walking home--that's ok, we're in New York. I know that my suburban ways of stockpiling at Costco, and then driving my mini van into my garage where I unload everything into my second fridge in the garage are not happening here. So, anyway, we get everything double bagged--yes, we brought most of our own bags--and head out the door. Uh oh! Pouring rain. We did have two umbrellas--good thing. Everyone gets two bags each. The kids balance their bags on the handle bars of their scooters. Chris and I take one in each hand--ok, maybe he had four bags total--and umbrellas. It's every man, boy, girl, and woman for himself. Off we head into the rain. We did great--wonderful team work as a family--really! How come that can't happen when we are trying to get ready for school in the morning? I know that the market delivers, but seriously, this was perhaps one of the most bonding moments we've had as a family!

3 comments:

Colett (*.*) said...

You are going to have a great summer adventure in New York and who knows maybe one day I will appear on your doorstep and use you for free lodging!

Tiffany said...

Glad to hear that you are adapting so well to city living. Double strollers just as the scooters make for great grocery transporters, even Maxi hitches a ride from time to time. I too may show up on your doorstep very soon:)

Bronwyn Williams said...

I had to laugh 'cause I look up Trader Joe's everywhere we go too and STOCK up - at least I don't have to walk it home.