Saturday, May 10, 2008

How is it May 10th Already?

Time has been flying by. We stay up so much later here, and then the days just seem to fly by, so it is very hard to explain how it is already May 10th!

We have been having a great time--really, I think that being out of your element and routine allows you to reflect on your behavior and habits in such a new way. Also, I feel that it has allowed each of us to really get in touch with parts of ourselves that living in suburbia just doesn't call upon.

We love Morningside Heights--the neighborhood is a great combination of diversity of races, economics, and interests. In that last post that showed the picture of the view outside of our window, I forgot to mention that those large brick apartment buildings are the Grant Housing Projects. The other day, we met a lovely older lady on the bus. She reminded me of my mom. She has lived in those projects since they first opened--I think that is like late 1950s or early 1960s--some one fact check that for me please-I just tried to Google it, and couldn't find a quick answer. Anyway, as we are visiting with her while we ride the bus down 125th Street from Harlem back toward Morningside Heights, a friend of the old lady gets on the bus. The friend was a little girl who grew up in the projects as a neighbor to the old lady. They start chatting, and the friend asks the old lady how all of her children are. Then, the old lady explains that she only has one child left still alive--a son. Two other sons and a daughter have all passed. Listening in to this story, I was just in awe of how this little old lady could be so loving and happy and have had so much sadness pass in her life. It was evident from how she spoke, that none of her children died of natural causes. The lady that she was speaking to was a special education specialist with the school district--just made me think about how do some people "make it" to a life of safety and longevity, and then children that you grow up with don't--obviously this is a very personally relevant question for me. Anyway, the whole experience made me realize once again, how much life is about choosing your attitude and disposition.



We love the International House too--there is always something going on here! We saw a great production of "Much Ado About Nothing" the other night. All of the actors where graduate students and professors in various departments--not a one a theater major. Other nights, we have gone down and found a ballroom dancing class going on--we hung out and watched and listened to the music. We love riding our scooters out on the huge roof patio. We have made friends with a family from China and a family from Chzech Republic. Tiare and Attiucs know tons of other people living in the house. We went to a great Candle Light Supper--fantastic food, amazing performances by students, and just a great time. The mission of the House is to pass the light of friendship from person to person all around the world from people to people.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

You must mean April 10th right? Isn't it still April?!

Ramona, We're having fun blog-tagging along! It sounds great. We really wish that we could come and visit. You'll have to enjoy the hot dog/urine/exhaust smell of the city for us. Give the kids and Chris a squeeze from the Laraways. Can't wait until you get back and we can hear all the adventurous details.

familia Bybaran said...

I loved reading these posts. I know I get to see you guys and hear about your experiences first hand, but you describe it so well here. I SO wish that you lived here.