Driving my mini van to Steve & Barry's located in a strip mall in Holliday, Utah just has an entirely different vibe to it than does climbing the stairs to the third floor of the junky Manhattan Mall and lugging your amazing $8.95 purchases down into the subway to make it home. Hustling and bustling for the best pair of Bitten jeans looses some of it's energy when you are just surrounded by other white suburban Mormon moms vs. the crowd in Manhattan.
Ok, I could go on and give examples of how different each of these stores are in Utah vs. their CA & NY locations, but the real impetus for this whole post was our recent experience in Red Mango...
We knew it was opening soon, so we (ok, I) promised the kids that we could go there for Family Night (yes, I truly am one of those suburban Mormon moms I was just writing about). Chris had to work late that night, so just the kids, Cluney, and I went. We marched right in with Cluney in our arms and placed our orders like the confident, experienced customers that we are. Immediately, the place definitely seems different than say the Newport Beach location that we love to frequent. I think it was the plethora of screaming babies--ok maybe there were only two. I also quickly realize that this yogurt is expensive--maybe in CA and NY my reference point for expensive is a little bit out of touch, but now we are back on our reality budget in light of a failing U.S. economy. We sit down and start eating our yummy expensive yogurt with Clueny sitting quietly in my arms. He is behaving much more nicely and quietly than the crying babies and 2 year olds running around. But, soon a young, pained-face Red Mango worker is lingering near our table and announces that the dog can't stay. I simply say ok, but clearly state that in other Red Mango locations, I know that I have seen doggies welcome. So, yes, the whole lap dog, my dog is considered a human trend still has not reached Utah!
A last funny event contrasting our current Utah life with our NY/CA lives of the summer: Yesterday, when Chris and the kids were driving home from somewhere, Atticus spontaneously announces, "Dad, I miss New York. I miss the people. I miss the protests. I miss the subways." Life is just different here.
| From Cluney Sept 08 |
Who would have the heart to kick me out of a store???
6 comments:
i love that atticus misses the protests! heehee. and did you know you can take your dog to home depot? they love dogs there.
Tell Atticus we miss it too! It's called diversity and it's a wonderful thing, isn't it?
New York misses atticus. I love that he misses the protests. He's hilarious. I can't believe they didn't let the dog in the store? Cluney is adorable. I agree about Steve and Barry's too. I don't like going to the one at my parent's house because you don;t have to fight anyone to get the jeans in your size. It's too civilized. I need to fight for my clothes to feel like I got a good deal.
I bet what Atticus misses most though is people smoking in the streets. :)
Sweet Ramona,
SO GREAT to get a comment from you-- I actually peeked at your blog over the summer and should have left a comment--but I felt shy, not being invited!! I'm soooo glad you left me one. Now I feel invited!
You're family is GORGEOUS!! I can't believe how beautiful your children are. Unbelievable how fast they grow up, huh? I still remember meeting Tiare when she was a couple weeks old!!
Looks like you guys had the time of your life over the summer. How wonderful!
I think we have many, many friends in common besides Raquel, Oliver, Bridget, and Richard. (such wonderful people!) Susan Barber is one of my closest friends and also Edie Zambrano. You know them right? Tell Chris hello!! Please keep in touch.
Much love,
Suzy
I so know what you mean! I didn't get as much enjoyment from IKEA when it moved to Draper. I kind of liked the special status it had just being where I was on vacation.
Post a Comment