Friday October 14 marked the 5 year anniversary of the passing of my mother in law Maloy Barreto. Several years ago right before her passing I had the privilege of making a documentary about her discovery of her birth mother. You can watch it streaming on-line here: http://byutv.org/watch/87bfcebd-9373-4e08-83c1-3a9b2f321e6f - it's called "Reconciling Ruby".
I was asked to present the film to a group on campus called BYU Women's-this group was organized after the war to help women who's husbands were fighting and to provide a social group for them. It consists of women who are either faculty or spouses of faculty at BYU. They are coming on their 100th anniversary. It was such an honor to present the film the day after Maloy's passing 5 years earlier. I had not watched the film myself for a while. It was nice to see Maloy up on the screen and hear her voice. I had such a close relationship with my mother in law. It was a deep privilege for me to share this experience with these wonderful women. Many of the women from the group are in my ward/neighborhood. (see picture below). These are real wonderful women who I respect a lot. As I watched the women walk in to take their seats (see other picts) I couldn't help but feel how Maloy would have loved to have been part of this sisterhood. She would have loved their company.
I'm so grateful for Maloy and everything she means to me.
Chris
No comments:
Post a Comment