Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Bad Blogger, Bad Mother?

Well, I am a bad blogger in the sense that I haven't been posting or checking the blog in so long. I'll make up for that soon hopefully.

The second accusation is up for a vote--am I a bad mother? Here's the story...we were supposed to meet Chris at the Met--I've already been without the kids or Chris. I really thought that the kids would enjoy seeing the Super Heroes Costumes and Fashion exhibition, but of course first I wanted to get my nails done--I can never pass on a cheap mani/pedi seeing as at home in Utah they are so expensive. So, my very patient children sat in the nail shop like angels as I got my feet and hands done (for those of you who don't mani/pedi, that's about a two hour long process including drying time--which is a must!).

Anyway, we get a frozen yogurt as a reward for their patience and set off across Central Park heading toward the Met. They are complaining right away that they don't want to go to a museum! Yeah, yeah I reply and we keep heading east. We enter the park at 72nd--pass the people still mourning John Lennon--and do our best to navigate north east. Well, after walking for a while we ask someone and realize that we are now in the 60's--so we've gone south east instead.

All along, the kids are still reminding me that they want to do something fun--not go to a museum. Now, does everyone know that in a former life, I was a museum educator? So, their comments are particularly bothersome to me. I manage to quiet my desire to launch into a lecture on the value of art, and retort instead, "Well, what would be fun in your opinion?" Without pausing for a second, Tiare responds, "I want to go to the Disney store, and then go to Toys 'R Us." All of that anti-consumerism Chris preaches in his documentaries certainly hasn't dampened the consumer spirit in our children--true Americans!

I know that you are dying to hear my reply, so I'll just admit flat out that I then said, "Ok, let's go." We hop on a bus down 5th Ave. and pop out smack dab in the middle of the highest version of retail on earth--we are already very familiar with this section of town as we have made a total of three pilgrimages to the American Girl doll store and at least two to FAO Schwartz.





On this trip we hit the NBA Store, the Disney Store, and then manage to fight our way through Time Square at rush hour to complete our venture to Toys 'R Us and ride the indoor ferris wheel.



At the end of the day, I can confidently say that it was a blast! Way funner than going to the Met! I'll just take the flack later when the kids return to school and their teachers ask them which museums they went to in New York!

4 comments:

familia Bybaran said...

You absolutely made the right choice. Your kids will thank you some day. After all, New York is the materialistic center of the world and when in Rome...

Michelle said...

Woo Hoo!!! Good for you. Sometimes you just have to say what the. . oops what I really ment to say was sometimes you have to just go with the flow!

Sole said...

Way to go! I'd have totally loved visiting the Disney Store, so of course.. you totally made the right choice! --- Miss you lots.
Sole

Colett (*.*) said...

You are the best mom, just ask your kids! A day they will never forget. I am wondering about Chris waiting for you at the Met though?