Wednesday, June 18, 2008

"In My Defense" or "Culture Cutri Style"

If you haven't read the post prior to this one, please do so first so that you will know why I am offering a defense on my behalf.

Ok, so here's our version of being cultured in NYC...

Eating at the Shake Shack



Just so you know how good it is, this day we had to wait in line 40 minutes to place our order




Stumbling upon this when out on a city adventure (see other posts about how these usually develop)



Exploring Grant's Tomb--ok that might not count as it is directly across the street from where we live, so there is almost no effort in going over there. Does there have to be effort involved in being cultured, or can you just happen upon culture in the course of your everyday life?



Looking for rats in the subway--well, this picture is actually at our stop on the 1 Train which is above ground, so that cuts the rat action on the tracks.



Taking artistic photos by both Chris and Tiare (these happen to be Chris')





Stuffing small children in spaces where they do not belong



Ok, at least in the above photo, we had just walked out of the Asia Society where had just finished seeing an intense exhibition of drawings by an Iranian cartoonist/satirist about the Iranian Revolution--so we had just finished doing something officially cultured before stuffing Atticus in the newspaper dispenser--it was Asad's idea! (That's Mehrsa's dad--he's at the edge of the photo).

And, finally, the ultimate cultured activity that is a MUST for me in any city worth visiting...making a faithful pilgrimage to Trader Joe's



Now, I think that I have explained the arduous journey one takes when going to Costco from the City (see post about Chris' birthday cake). The only other journey that matches the rigor and devotion required is going to Trader Joe's with four kids on the subway after a full day at the Bronx Zoo. But, Mehrsa and I were up for the task! Look at Tiare's face to see how the four kids held up. We had a total of about 8 bags as I remember it. But, 8 bags in New York when you are not having your groceries delivered means 8 bags stuffed into whatever contraption that you happen to have that has wheels--in our case a double stroller, but we did still have to leave room for the one of four children who does still qualify as an infant and can't walk. The other three had no chance of mercy, we kicked them out of the stroller and made them walk. The yummy Trader Joe's food was worth all of the sacrifices!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

What a fun adventure you are all having. Thanks so much for sharing it with all of us here!

Anonymous said...

Love the kid in the Voice box.

Hope you're having a fab time in one of my favorite places in the world. I recommend Amir's falafel (if it's still there) at 114th and Broadway, the steamed vegetable dumplings at Ollie's (116th & B'way, also on the UWS and in Times Square), chocolate sourdough twists at Amy's Bread on 9th Ave between 46th and 47th (I think also in Chelsea), and Belgian pralines from Leonidas on Madison between 51st and 52nd (behind St. Patrick's).

I'll pass along your blog address to my parents and sister.

The Laundry Queen said...

Ramona! It looks like you are having the best time! I love the picture of Atticus in the newspaper dispenser! That is so something that I would do! I am going to keep checking out (and enjoying!) your blog. It has been way too long since we've seen each other!