Political passion has a certain flavor for 2nd and 3rd graders. But, before the story, you need the background.
We're at the dentist office today and Atticus hands me his Obama key chain that usually hangs from his backpack. (He bought it with his own dollar on 125th Street in Harlem.) I take it without thinking much about it other than perhaps it broke off. As we are driving home, Tiare asks me if Obama is going to make less jobs for people. I explain to her that Obama wants all people to have good paying jobs, not just rich people. And again, I don't think much of it.
Later on over dinner, the kids both start talking about how while walking home three of their friends that they walk with start heckling them by saying things like: "Atticus, if you vote for Obama you're not cool." "My mom says that Obama wants to make less jobs for people and more taxes." and "Just because Obama is black doesn't make him right"--that one I actually do agree with.
Anyway, I asked them what they said back. Atticus said he said, "McCain Sucks!" Well, obviously, I've got to do a better job teaching my 7 & 8 year old some sound bites to throw back while walking home from school. I need help--anyone with some good kid level one liners, please feel free to send them to me! Hey, the commentators on CNN right now are saying that the convention needs to hit hard with specific messages--that's what I need help with too!
4 comments:
Go, Ramona, go! Let's see....how about:
1. McCain is just another George Bush.
2. Obama has better ideas.
3. McCain will keep us in Iraq longer.
4. Obama means more jobs and better jobs.
5. Obama has aloha!
6. McCain dumped his injured first wife for a younger, richer wife.
7. Just because Obama is Black, that doesn't mean he's wrong.
8. Obama plays basketball.
Honestly, though, that is some really chilling stuff. Heckling? "Not cool"?
In discussing this with Max on the way to school this morning, Max said he liked Atticus's comment!
9. The economy is always better under Democrats. It's proven.
10. Obama is smarter than McCain. Waaaay smarter.
11. McCain was once pretty cool, but has changed his mind on all the stuff that made him cool.
12. Obama body surfs.
13. Just because McCain is a war hero doesn't mean he's right.
14. God doesn't like war.
15. McCains VP is scary.
16. Your parents are morons.
It's so hard when your ideas are challenged and you're not sure what to say in return. I remember being cornered in the library by two girls armed with an anti-Mormon book who were determined to "save my soul." It was horrible- not only being the focus of their intense interrogation, but also not knowing what to say.
I'd make sure that whatever you do decide to give him for "ammo" you make sure you practice in role plays. Practice really helps build confidence, and it's not the last time he'll have to defend his beliefs.
Post a Comment