Monday, September 8, 2008

Gross Stories

Gross stories Act I

(Don't worry, there are no pictures accompanying these gross stories--think "This American Life" radio program vs. graphic real life pictures.)

I've been finding it difficult to keep up with everything now that I am working full time and real life (school, homework, soccer, flag football, hula, etc.) has hit us flat in the face after a luxurious 4 month vacation from grueling suburban life. Yes, New York looks so relaxing compared to trying to get home from work, get kids to different practices at different times, make dinner, ok you get the picture.

Anyway, I digress. So, to help me out with the household chores, the kids have started to sort and load their own laundry into the washer, transfer it to the dryer, and then attempt to fold and put it away ("attempt" being the operative word in those last two steps). Thank you to Sara Fisk for giving me this great idea!

This weekend, Chris was trying to facilitate the whole procedure along more quickly and commented, "Hey, the kids don't seem to have too many white clothes to wash." I immediately know that there are only two explanations for this fact: 1) that they have actually hidden their white laundry in various places in the house vs. putting all of it in their personal, right next to the closet, laundry hampers, or 2) that they have been wearing the same underwear and socks all week.

Well, prior to starting the laundry routine that morning, I had searched the house for secret piles of dirty laundry lurking in corners, under beds, etc. No, there wasn't any to be found. Those great kids had managed to put it all in their hampers. So you know what that means...yeap, they must have had those same socks and underwear on all week!

Now, don't get grossed out totally, they did shower during the week (unsupervised by me obviously). They must have just put those socks and underwear right back on...you can kind of see their logic...the less dirty clothes the less they have to wash, dry, fold and put away. Maybe they are gifted and talented after all!

Gross Stories Act II

Cluney, our little sweet heart, has pretty much learned to poop and pee on his pee pee pads. Hurray!! Well, one day last week he escaped from his little area of free range. He loves to go into the kids' room, especially Tiare's. All seemed well though as he did not poop or pee in there. The next day, I was picking his cute little poopies up off of the pee pee pad (I told you that I am in love with him! Even the kids pick up the poop without much complaint--you know that means that they are in love with him!). Well, something caught my eye--a long blue, sticky something lodge right in the middle of the little poo poo log. Yeap, Cluney ate part of Tiare's sticky hand toy--you know those little cheap give away toys that kids get at the dentist or anywhere else that has a "treasure chest" of cheap give away toys. I hate those sticky, slimmy hands anyway. I was just grateful that the thing had made it out the other end of his digestive track in one piece. Can you imagine paying big money for some doggy operation only to be told that the dog swallowed a sticky hand! Thank goodness it was a slimmy sticky hand and slipped right on through!

Well, we don't have Ira Glass here to making any insightful wrap-up closing comments on these gross stories. So, I'll just close by saying please don't judge me too harshly, we are each just trying the best that we can!

3 comments:

The Laundry Queen said...

Don't worry, the repeated wearing of underwear is not solely a Cutri Family Affliction. I have certain questions I ask every morning before we go out the door to school-- "Did you brush your hair?, Did you brush your teeth.....with toothpaste?" and, of course the most important question, "Did you change your underwear?".

I was forced to add that last one on when we, too, suffered from a lack of white laundry. It's a difficult affliction to overcome. Good luck!

familia Bybaran said...

This is why I love you Ramona. This is totally my kind of parenting. I love your kids wearing the same undies all week. Who cares? at least they are happy. Thanks for sharing.

Sara said...

It is a natural consequence of doing their own laundry, and I should've warned you! Before they were doing their own laundry, EVERYTHING they wore (dirty or not) went into the laundry because they didn't have to wash or fold it. Now, they have become clothing conservationists and I just hope that the lessons learned carry over into other life skills like being able to conserve money or energy or things like that. But not underwear.