New York Times
November 5, 2008, 6:59 pm
The Search for the First Puppy
By Katharine Q. Seelye
"Now that Barack Obama has been elected president, he can start fulfilling his many campaign promises — including the one to his two daughters that when the election was over, regardless of the outcome, they would be cuddling up to a new dog.
As the whole world heard last night during his victory speech in Grant Park, Mr. Obama declared that his girls had “earned the new puppy that’s coming with us to the White House.”
But as with most campaign promises, fulfilling this one may not be as simple as it sounds.
What kind of dog? Purebred or mutt? From a shelter or breeder?...He had said a year ago, while campaigning in Iowa, that his older daughter, Malia, now 10, had been investigating breeds and decided that because of her allergies, she wanted a goldendoodle, which is a cross between a golden retriever and poodle.
He said his daughter thought the goldendoodle “the optimal dog.”
This prompted lobbying by dog lovers and animal groups against a purebred. The People for Ethical Treatment of Animals wrote to the Obamas saying that a purebred would be “elitist.” The Best Friends Animal Society gathered more than 50,000 signatures to persuade them to adopt a dog instead of going to a breeder."
Well of course goldendoodles are the optimal dog, just look at these pictures...
Yes, Malia, goldendoodles are the optimal dog!! But, I do understand that you've got large social obligations to fulfill now, and I too would have probably adopted a dog instead if 50,000 people told me to. But, I'm glad that they didn't and that we got to get our sweet Cluney!!
So, when I get elected to office--some office--I'm glad that our dog choice will already be a done deal!
4 comments:
Aren't presidents elitists? Isn't that ok? I say go for the goldendoodle. Get what you want!
Awesome post. Awesome dog. Very presidential. Everyone is wearing these shirts that say: I am Barack Obama. You should get one for Cluney that says: I am Barack Obama's Dog.
I second Mehrsa's vote on the t-shirt for Cluney- that is too good to pass up. Or you could get a pitbull with some lipstick and it could be Sarah Palin's dog. :)
Your little dog is so cute. I think it is a great idea to get a new puppy when they go to the whitehouse....they should make it a staff person's job to potty train it. That sounds ideal to me!
Post a Comment