But politics should be a part of every citizen's daily life in our democracy, and furthermore...
Oh, wait, I thought I was at work giving a lecture, that's right, I'm in mom-mode just posting on my family blog. Ok, I'll stop the lecturing and just tell the stories and show the pictures.
A while ago I posted about coming home one day and finding little signs around the house with kabob sticks tapped to them. I asked the kids what they were and Tiare said, "Oh, we were playing protest Mom."
What I love best about the kids' signs is that they demonstrate perfect harmony between allegiance to both Obama and BYU!
I guess that's what you get when you take your kids to New York where you can find a protest going on about something just about everyday. (That is an American right, but I'll save you the lecture right now.)
Atticus' role model protester on the streets of New York.
Now, the incident that really motivated me to write this post is what my sweet kids said yesterday. They have few local friends their age whose politics match theirs, so the few who do make a big impact on them. Our one friends Leilani and Brian and their two boys have a life-size cut-out of Barak Obama standing in their front room looking out the window. On Halloween, Barak handed out the candy--my kids loved that! Well, yesterday the kids started talking about our president elect because right here in our town we saw some disrespectful graffiti about him. Tiare started talking about the life-size cut out of him that our friends have and how much she likes it. Then, she said, "Mom, I want to ask Santa Claus for one of those for Christmas." Oh, what better to warm a mother's heart than to hear the politics of her young daughter expressed so sweetly!! Later that same day she explained to me that she thought that Santa Clause was going to live forever because Jesus would give him lots of lives! Hope and faith--that's what it's all about!
1 comment:
Your post made me laugh out loud. Playing protest!!! If ONLY my kids would do that one day! I love the signs. It's too funny. And graffiti in provo? About Obama? Come back to New York! Here, the grafitti is more to your liking: Crack is wack! Yo!
Great post. Love it.
Post a Comment